From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:32:20
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:00:51AM +0200, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
> is _great_ ! Thanks so much to blizzy > (unfortunatly he's not in the dev team any more). The problem here > is that this site must be pushed quite hard because there are > packages in the tree only a few people use and if those people don't > use they won't be stable anytime soon or might - > in a bad case - be pushed into stable because nobody complain > although it's just because nobody uses
I'm running a mix of 'stable' and 'unstable' packages. I try to report if they work as much as possible to the, but it's hard to keep track of what I'm running as stable, and what I'm running as unstable... The problem is, that when I've just installed an unstable package, I can't say much about the 'stableness' of it, I can just say if it emerges or not. And if it didn't emerge properly, I would use, not And after running my unstable package for a week, I can witness of the stability of the package, but by then, I have forgotten all about reporting it... Thus, I propose an extension to emerge that would look through your system and see which packages are marked as 'unstable' and ask the user interactively if they think the packages are OK. The responses could be of the type: 1) Yes, I've used it extensively and it works. 2) Yes, I've used it somewhat and it seems to work. 3) No idea, I don't think I've used it, but nothing is broke. 4) No idea, I haven't used it at all yet. 5) No, it doesn't work and I've used bugzilla to report the bug. You hopefully get the idea... Combine it with some kind of cgi-gateway on, similar to the one at the and it would be quite simple for users to start tracking their unstable packages so they could be adopted for stable. I know, talk isn't worth anything and code is everything. ;) //H -- To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable? Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable? Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com>