From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:32:20
1 On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:00:51AM +0200, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
2 > stable.gentoo.org is _great_ ! Thanks so much to blizzy
3 > (unfortunatly he's not in the dev team any more). The problem here
4 > is that this site must be pushed quite hard because there are
5 > packages in the tree only a few people use and if those people don't
6 > use stable.gentoo.org they won't be stable anytime soon or might -
7 > in a bad case - be pushed into stable because nobody complain
8 > although it's just because nobody uses stable.gentoo.org
9
10 I'm running a mix of 'stable' and 'unstable' packages. I try to report
11 if they work as much as possible to the stable.gentoo.org, but it's
12 hard to keep track of what I'm running as stable, and what I'm running
13 as unstable... The problem is, that when I've just installed an
14 unstable package, I can't say much about the 'stableness' of it, I can
15 just say if it emerges or not. And if it didn't emerge properly, I
16 would use bugs.gentoo.org, not stable.gentoo.org. And after running my
17 unstable package for a week, I can witness of the stability of the
18 package, but by then, I have forgotten all about reporting it...
19
20 Thus, I propose an extension to emerge that would look through your
21 system and see which packages are marked as 'unstable' and ask the
22 user interactively if they think the packages are OK. The responses
23 could be of the type:
24 1) Yes, I've used it extensively and it works.
25 2) Yes, I've used it somewhat and it seems to work.
26 3) No idea, I don't think I've used it, but nothing is broke.
27 4) No idea, I haven't used it at all yet.
28 5) No, it doesn't work and I've used bugzilla to report the bug.
29
30 You hopefully get the idea...
31
32 Combine it with some kind of cgi-gateway on stable.gentoo.org,
33 similar to the one at the stats.gentoo.org and it would be quite
34 simple for users to start tracking their unstable packages so they
35 could be adopted for stable.
36
37 I know, talk isn't worth anything and code is everything. ;)
38
39 //H
40 --
41 To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list