From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:28:43
1 On Tuesday 15 July 2003 09:01, Martin Gramatke wrote:
2 > While Gentoo is actually blessed with highly respectable managers, I have
3 > absolutely no idea what the future will be if some of them change their
4 > life plans, e.g. get headhunted by MS ;-)
5 >
6 > So I would really appreciate a more democratic structure in Gentoos's
7 > management and I think Debian is a nice antetype.
8 >
9 > Not necessarily the users have to participate in such a voting system and
10 > you really don't have to vote about technical issues which should be
11 > decided by managers within their area of accountability. But at least the
12 > managers should elect their own circle, role by role and temporal limited.
13
14 This is exactly what happens. These internal elections are closed to protect
15 the privacy of the people concidered, and to allow for open discussion. Be
16 assured though that it's not just Daniel deciding everything.
17
18 > Gentoo now has a good base to start such a restructuring. With respect to
19 > the notable efforts of individually managers in the past, I fully
20 > understand if they want to keep their good influence on Gentoo.
21 >
22 > But a democratic structure would give me a much better feeling concerning
23 > the long term availability and stability of Gentoo. This would wipe off my
24 > last doubt if Gentoo is my distribution for at least the next twenty years.
27 In general gentoo is very democratic. Most decisions are debated through for
28 extensive times on -core and #gentoo-dev. What is lacking is the fact that
29 too often there is no one to say, "ok, this is what we agreed upon. If there
30 are no new objections, implementors go ahead".
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze
36 Researcher