From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: LINGUAS USE_EXPAND renamed to L10N
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 20:19:18
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >> POSIX.1-2008[2] as you mentioned defines a slightly different format
3 >> for locales
4 >
5 >> language[_territory][.codeset]
6 >
7 >> Only LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, and
8 >> LC_TIME additionally accept specification of a modifier.
9 >
10 >> [language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier]]
11 >
12 >> Where territory is implementation defined and the modifier
13 >> "select[s] a specific instance of localization data within a single
14 >> category". Which I think does not match what we want with "valencia"
15 >> variant of the "ca" language.
16 >
17 > As I understand it:
18 >
19 > 1. Gettext documentation says that locale names can be LL_CC or
20 > LL_CC@VARIANT. The natural mapping to the (implementation defined)
21 > format mentioned by POSIX seems to be that LL, CC, and VARIANT
22 > correspond to language, territory, and modifier, respectively.
23 >
24 > 2. Language codes are taken from ISO 639, namely the two-letter code
25 > if one exists, otherwise the three-letter code.
26
27 Yes.
28
29 > 3. Territory codes are taken from ISO 3166-1, usually the two-letter
30 > country codes.
31
32 Yes.
33
34 > 4. According to Gettext documentation, "'@VARIANT' can denote any kind
35 > of characteristics that is not already implied by the language LL and
36 > the country CC." (So IIUC the BCP-47 variant "valencia" would become
37 > "@valencia".)
38
39 This I think is wrong and collides with POSIX.
40 POSIX modifiers are not allowed for LANG or LC_ALL in POSIX.1-2008[1]
41 Section 8.2 says you can have at most one modifier field to "select a
42 specific instance of localization data within a single category", which I
43 don't think applies because it is its own locale, not an instance of an
44 existing one. Furthermore (but that doesn't apply in our use case), POSIX
45 spec lists the example
46 LC_COLLATE=De_DE@dict
47 So what if you want Catalan Valencian with dictionary order? Or if someone
48 hypothetically came up with a different script?
49
50 >> Hence I think POSIX locale cannot handle Catalan Valencian, unless
51 >> territory is made accept ISO3166-2 region subdivisions.
52 >
53 > I haven't found any mention or usage of ISO 3166-2 region subdivisions
54 > in the context of locale. Can you provide any references for this?
55
56 As I wrote before, it is not used. But I think it is the only spec-compliant
57 way to marry POSIX locales with Catalan Valencian. BCP-47 does it in a more
58 natural way.
61 Best regards,
62 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
63