From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PAM related: pam_console ?
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:37:10
1 On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 15:17 +0200, Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò wrote:
2 > Seems like pam_console modules is broken. I'm not able to make it compile both
3 > as a standalone ebuild i'm trying to write and as the complete pam with
4 > +pam_console flag.
5 >
6 > Anyway I was wondering what pam_console is used for, at the end. It's a way to
7 > set up permissions when someone logins at a console. I would never use
8 > something like that on a remote server, as anyone which could have a local
9 > login can do anything· It also doesn't make sense on a recent user system
10 > configured properly, as devfs/udev would take care of permissions, and users
11 > needs only to set the group correctly (simpler than using pam_console
12 > anyway).
13 >
14 > Seems to me like a workaround for old old (too old!) systems, which is no more
15 > needed at least for us.
16 >
17 > I know this is there also for compatibility, but this makes sys-libs/pam
18 > ebuild very bloated as for now, and still I don't know a reason to have it
19 > there.
20 >
21 > Some comments about it?
22
23 /care
24
25 We anyhow move to not using it by default in 0.78 - axe it while we
26 still can.
30 Martin Schlemmer
31 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
32 Cape Town, South Africa