From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:56:48
1 Mateusz A. Mierzwin'ski wrote:
2 > And I strongly suggest to leave old mechanism of portage, because we saw
3 > couple times what _GREAT_ automatic makes with distro - eg. Mandriva
4 > with all creators and cheap installer - couple apps not running, low
5 > performance.
6 >
7 > Don't get me wrong - I also have that problems, and they make me
8 > nervous, but when I think what could I done by automatic replace package
9 > or binary then I get to thinking that everything is ok...
10
11 Nobody is suggesting getting rid of all blocks or automating upgrades
12 that shouldn't be automated.
13
14 They're suggesting adding a little more intelligence to the current
15 system. Really safe upgrades might happen automatically. Others might
16 still fail, but would contain more informational errors. Others might
17 just continue as they do currently.
18
19 You don't complain when you upgrade from shorewall 3.4.7 to 3.4.8 and
20 portage auto-uninstalls 3.4.7 when you're done, do you? The whole point
21 of a package manager is to automate routine and safe activities. The
22 alternative is manual install of tarballs...
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list