From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Last rites for dev-libs/publib
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:29:42
1 I've p.masked dev-libs/publib and it's pending removal in a week from now if
2 nobody says anything.
3
4 This library was added in 2002 but seems like nothing is actually making use
5 of it anyway. Some of the functions are broken. There's no more an active
6 upstream, and the Debian patches we're using are unmaintained, too.
7 It could have been used to provide missing functions on non-glibc systems, but
8 it's difficult to handle, and GNULib[1] can be used instead (it's not in
9 portage, but if it will ever needed by Gentoo/ALT projects I can add it to
10 gentoo-alt overlay and then to the main portage when needed.
11
12 publib was added for the pure sake of it, without a required dependency. It
13 seems not to be used by anything useful at the moment.
14
15 I'd rather avoid having a dead piece of code lying around and maybe screwing
16 things around.
19 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
20 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE