From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 16:12:44
1 On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 3:06 AM James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:38:48 -0400
4 > Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Why do I not like an initramfs, though? Well, for one, it complicates the
7 > > kernel compiles (and it makes them bigger, something which is an issue on
8 > > the old SGI systems at times). Two, it's another layer that I have to
9 > > maintain. Three, it violates, in my mind, the simplicity of keeping the
10 > > kernel and userland separated (e.g., kernel does kernel-y things, userland
11 > > does userland-y things).
12 >
13 > You make it sound like the initramfs has to be built into the kernel
14 > image. It can be but it usually isn't. I suspect you know that though?
15 > Admittedly that does depend on support from your bootloader. While GRUB
16 > and U-Boot have supported this for years, I forget what oddball
17 > bootloaders your hardware may be using.
18
19 Though he's likely not using it, GRUB2 supports all the platforms he
20 mentioned (x86, amd64, sparc64, [sgi] mips).