From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How default route should be set by pppd
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:54:03
> I discovered that ppp-2.4.4 set a default route without a gateway. It is > totally fine from IP routing point of view (the simple fact that route > is through the point-to-point link is enough to know the next hop), > except that openswan's %defaultroute need a default gateway in order to > work. > > I'm about to apply a patch that would reverse to the old way of setting > the default route. > Any objections?
Why not? Such routes work perfectly here. I also use them for my PPTP tunnel: route add -net dev ppp1 Works perfectly! I think it simply means: take all IP-packets with destination and send them out through interface ppp1. We know such routes from local network-interfaces. Actually, i also always thought, that i must specify a gateway. But it seems, i was wrong.