From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:56:03
1 On 30 July 2015 at 19:15, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
4 > Hash: SHA256
5 >
6 > On 30/07/15 01:55 AM, Duncan wrote:
7 > > Patrick McLean posted on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:35:02 -0700 as
8 > > excerpted:
9 > >
10 > >> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 01:11:30 +0300 Alon Bar-Lev
11 > >> <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
12 > >>
13 > >>> On 29 July 2015 at 23:20, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
14 > >>> wrote:
15 > >>>>
16 > >>>> so that there is a better idea out there of what I'm talking
17 > >>>> about, the OpenRC github repository now has a mount-service
18 > >>>> branch.
19 > >>>
20 > >>> But I still trying to figure out why do we need to keep fstab
21 > >>> around. It is pure legacy.
22 > >>>
23 > >>>
24 > >> On what planet is fstab pure legacy? Many utilities use it and
25 > >> expect it to exist. For example the ability to do "mount /foo"
26 > >> requires a properly configured fstab file (also mount -a).
27 > >>
28 >
29 > I think there are two meanings of the word legacy here.
30 >
31 > #1, /etc/fstab on linux is not legacy, and I don't think anyone here
32 > (except possibly for WilliamH as I can't actually tell from his
33 > statements) has been calling it 'legacy' in this context.
34
35 /etc/fstab is legacy in the sense it did not evolve since early days of UNIX.
36 Imagine /etc/crontab was left the same single file, but it at least
37 evolved to usr /etc/cron.*/ to ease management of multiple sources and
38 ease packaging/maintenance without need to parse and rewrite single
39 file when provisioning.
40
41 Nobody ignores /etc/fstab existence, I provided solutions of how
42 /etc/fstab can be read in flexible method as netifrc does (which was
43 actually the core idea of this move), doing so will make the service
44 much simpler as it can use external helper scripts to provide the data
45 out of whatever source, please re-read my message.
46
47 However, having the option *NOT* to use /etc/fstab has many advantages
48 in security (storing credentials in own files), provisioning (no need
49 to race parse/rewrite), dynamic (define the location of nfs server
50 based on logic) and many more.
51
52 I do not understand why people are so sensitive for a change that does
53 not effect the outcome of their need, all that I recommended to add is
54 driver:
55
56 mount_driver_\${NAME}=fstab
57 mount_mountpoint_\${NAME}=/mnt/auto
58
59 driver will be executed by the service, in this case:
60
61 openrc-mount-helper-${openrc_mount_driver_\${NAME}}
62 ${mount_mountpoint_\${NAME}}
63
64 the output will be evaluated. This simple solution will enable the
65 service to be generic and provide flexible pure configuration
66 (whatever we choose), while support any source of information that is
67 capable of constructing this configuration.
68
69 Loose nothing gain some, simpler service and constraint fstab within driver.
70
71 Another drive I can think of is UPnP.
72
73 Regards,
74 Alon