From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:09:57
1 On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >> Just wanted to point out that (if there is enough memory) recent
3 >> kernels manage much better parallelism, even excess of it, once
4 >> reached the maximum load augmenting threads only bring minimal loss of
5 >> "real" time.
6 >
7 > Does that include handling complete lack of memory and heavy swapping?
10 I think the key was the "if there is enough memory" - which I think is
11 a pretty big issue. Running 25 invocations of java each wanting
12 100-200MB of RAM will cripple a system relatively quickly. And 25
13 really is just scratching the surface when most people think
14 "cluster."
15
16 I think the only way to really fix this would be to integrate
17 distributed behavior into make itself.
18
19 Rich