From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:39:30
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:03:34 -0400 Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:47 AM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Am Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018, 23:51:17 CEST schrieb Ben Kohler:
7 > > > > Hello,
8 > > > >
9 > > > > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
10 > > > > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
11 > > > > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Any objections to this idea?
14 > > >
15 > > > We removed the dedicated "server profiles" and told everyone
16 > > > "Don't ever use -*"; if you want to have a sane minimal set of features use
17 > > > the base profile as e.g. default/linux/amd64/17.0".
18 > > >
19 > > > If with USE=udev this profile still fulfills the definition of "sane minimal
20 > > > set of features", then it's fine.
21 > > >
22 > > > (Keep in mind, we have all sorts of people out there running gentoo not only
23 > > > on desktops or beefy servers.)
24 > > >
25 > > > Otherwise it should stay in desktop profile.
26 > >
27 > > USE="udev" is a sane default for anything that will be running on real
28 > > or emulated hardware. It might not be necessary for containers, which
29 > > don't do any hardware management.
30 >
31 > I do not agree with you. I have perfectly fine running
32 > Gentoo-based servers running without udev and so many other people.
33 > udev in desktop profile is just fine with me, on servers it is not
34 > needed in many cases.
35
36 You can run any system without udev, but you need to be very careful
37 about what Linux features you utilize and how you have the system
38 configured.
39
40 Most Linux servers out in the wild are running udev; your
41 configuration is an exception to the common case.