From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-project] Re: towards a more distributed model
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:27:43
1 On 11/19/2014 03:36 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 11/18/2014 02:12 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 11/18/2014 04:19 AM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
5 >>> Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o> writes:
6 >>>
7 >>>> It would be probably good to have in the tree only the core components and move other stuff to the thematic overlays.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Then we can have a clear understanding, how things should be: if
10 >>>> something is a part of the core system, it goes to the tree, if
11 >>>> something is a scientific packages, it lives in the science overlay,
12 >>>> if something is a java stuff it lives in the java overlay, etc.
13 >>>
14 >>> This is a good idea. One difficulty: how to handle inter-overlay
15 >>> dependence? Either the dependency should be expressed by overlay +
16 >>> ebuild, or the dependent ebuild should be moved into the "core overlay".
17 >>> I haven't figured out a clean solution yet.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> Yes, this is a weak point of decentralization. We should think how to
21 >> solve it. The possible solution is using of dependencies between
22 >> overlays (one overlay says, it depends on other). We already have such a
23 >> feature, we only need to add more support for it. Example of such a
24 >> dependency:
25 >>
26 >> %cat /var/lib/layman/melpa-stable/metadata/layout.conf
27 >>
28 >> repo-name = melpa-stable
29 >>
30 >> masters = gnu-elpa gentoo
31 >>
32 >> Dependencies on overlays in ebuilds is bad idea I think, as it only will
33 >> introduce additional problems. Also think what if you need not a
34 >> package, but an eclass or whatever else.
35 >>
36 >> In addition, one question that emerges is possible circular dependencies
37 >> between overlays. We need a way to handle this.
40 > Sounds like there should be some sort of wiki page/guidelines what to
41 > keep in mind when creating an overlay.
42 >
43 > I guess there are two approaches:
44 > * make the overlay as independent and consistent as possible
45 > * make the overlay as themed and reusable as possible
46 >
47 > Example: You want to create a games overlay, do you add libsdl,
48 > sdl-mixer etc to it?
49 >
50 > One way to go about it is probably to make a very strong distinction
51 > between actual applications and libraries/modules.
52 > So you'd rather have two overlays for the above example: "games" and
53 > "games-libs"?
56 That sounds reasonable.
59 > In the end, I'm not sure if this is actually such a big problem. You can
60 > still use random ebuilds from random overlays and commit them straight
61 > to your own overlay.
64 A bad idea. Bad because of the same reason why copy-past in your code
65 would be bad.
68 Jauhien