From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:44:41
1 Hi Jakub,
2
3 Thanks for your input. Please remember that alsa-driver isn't going away
4 any time soon.
5
6 Jakub Moc wrote:
7 > - The in-kernel drivers seriously are not an equivalent alternative, let
8 > alone the preferred one, for stuff like hda-intel or any similar drivers
9 > that are under permanent heavy development, at least for now.
10
11 If hda-intel (or any other driver) from the kernel sources does not work
12 on your system then you should file a bug. Yes, there are drivers under
13 heavily development, this also applies to many other kernel subsystems
14 too. We live with it. It's not as bad as it sounds.
15
16 If you have a system which does not work with the in-kernel drivers,
17 please file a bug. Provided you cooperate, we will get it fixed in the
18 kernel.
19
20 > - This is not a duplicated maintenance effort, it's simply needed to
21 > have external alsa-drivers ebuilds, and it's needed to have them
22 > supported as ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers.
23
24 That's not true. I have supported in-kernel ALSA drivers for a long time
25 and have never seen this be the case.
26
27 > - The two are basically different branches, and it's *not* about whether
28 > the code is newer or older in one or the other at all.
29
30 That depends on your definition of branch. From my definition of the
31 word, I disagree.
32
33 Using a more generic term: they are the same CODEBASE.
34
35 Changes from the alsa-driver upstream repository *are*
36 synced into the kernel very regularly - the large majority of the source
37 base is identical.
38
39 Taking the first 10 .c files under sound/pci, here are the diffs of the
40 latest alsa development release vs the latest kernel development release:
41
42 ad1889.c: no differences
43 als300.c: no differences
44 als4000.c: no differences
45 atiixp.c: no differences
46 atiixp_modem.c: no differences
47 azt3328.c: no differences
48 bt87x.c: 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
49 cmipci.c: no differences
50 cs4281.c: no differences
51 ens1370.c: 2 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
52
53 The bt87x differences are in both directions: the kernel adds support
54 for one hardware device over alsa-driver, alsa-driver adds support for
55 one device over the kernel.
56
57 The ens1370 difference is just a simple cleanup, no functional differences.
58
59 Now some drivers I know to be more popular:
60
61 via82cxx.c: no differences
62 intel8x0.c: 3 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
63 (just a tweak to the way the device is suspended)
64 emu10k1/*: 1 insertion(+), 3 deletions(-)
65 (just a cleanup, no functional changes)
66
67 The heavily developed monster one:
68
69 hda/*: 15 insertions(+), 88 deletions(-)
70
71 Interestingly in this case, the in-kernel driver is a touch newer than
72 the hda-intel one. It includes support for a few more hardware devices.
73 Again these are only very small differences though.
74
75 Both of these sources ARE the same codebase.
76
77 Daniel
78 --
79 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list