From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Setting up a local Gentoo mirror for pre-compiled packages?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:09:17
1 Are the computers on a local network?
2 Then doing this is very simple:
3 nfs export /usr/porgat on your server (the build machine)
4 nfs mount that on all other machines...
5
6 This way yu can:
7 1. emerge sync from any machine (you will update the same *central* db)
8 2. emerge --buildpkg ... on your server
9 3. emerge --usepkg on all your clients...
10 (or you can even do build anywhere or in parallel (provided packageds do not
11 collide of course))
12
13 If nfsmount is undesirabble, well, there are different networked filesystems,
14 or you can script something along these lines employing rsync and/or scp (and
15 this may work well even if comp'yuters are on different networks far away -
16 namely if latency/throughput make network mounting undesirable).
17
18 Another option is to use distcc which will distribute compilation effort among
19 many computers (well, best resualts are provided by parallel use of both
20 approaches...).
21
22 George