From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 20:43:31
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On my system, /usr/portage is a separate mountpoint. There is no need to have on,h top level directories be separate mountpoints.
4
5 It makes sense to follow FHS. Sure, I can work around poor designs by
6 sticking mount points all over the place, or manually setting my
7 config to put stuff in sane locations. It makes more sense to put all
8 the volatile stuff in /var, than to mix it up all over the place and
9 get users to set up separate mountpoints to make up for it.
10
11 If somebody is doing a new Gentoo install, why would they want to put
12 the repository in /usr, and nest a few GB of distfiles inside of the
13 repo? Why should that be the place we direct them? There is no
14 history for them. A brand new install should put things in the most
15 logical place.
16
17 By all means let existing users decide whether to move stuff. I'm
18 sure we have plenty of users with make.conf in /etc/.
21 Rich