From: James Potts <arek75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is || ( Atom... ) broken?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:45:35
1 On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> wrote:
4 > > WTF is up with it? Why does it love the first Atom so much more than the
5 > > others?
6 > >
7 > > It could be such a useful feature, but, in practice, it just never seems to
8 > > do what I want it to. Is it a bug?
9 >
10 > Well, more like unspecified behavior. PMS just says that the PM has
11 > to accept any package in the list. It is silent on the matter of
12 > which one is to be preferred, or to what degree.
13 >
14 > As we saw with upower portage will jump through quite a few hoops to
15 > install the first dependency - it doesn't always figure out that
16 > installing one of the others is easier. It is a bit hard to
17 > algorithmically define "easier" - should portage favor fewer package
18 > installs, fewer removals, fewer config file changes, avoiding changing
19 > the init system (and what constitutes an init system), etc? Plus,
20 > there are a lot of potential permutations to deal with.
21 >
22 > You'd probably need to be more specific as to what is going on to get further.
23 >
24 > I think most would agree that there is room for improvement here.
25 >
26 > Rich
29 In this case, it would be nice if Portage would see if one package of
30 the set could be resolved without blocks or required config changes
31 (i.e. if one package can be installed *now* choose it over
32 earlier-listed not-installable packages). The problem with this is
33 that it would take longer to resolve || () deps if the first one isn't
34 installable. Not only that, but the workaround is easy: Either
35 install the package you want first (upower-pm-utils, for example), or
36 at the same time as your "target" package, so I also don't see this as
37 high-priority. I also don't see this as something needing changed in
38 PMS, as other PMs have different ways of handling the issue.
39
40 --James