From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kensington@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: revbumping ebuilds after USE dependency changes
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:37:53
1 On 28 July 2013 21:11, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Now, what portage does is implicitly applying _some_ of the metadata
3 > from the ebuild tree to vardb without rebuilding the package. In some
4 > cases. As an effect, vardb is no longer self-satisfactory,
5 > and represents something between the package that was built
6 > and the current ebuild.
7 >
8 > Ciaran has already elaborated a bit on the potential issues. It gets
9 > most dangerous when you create some meaningful changes without
10 > a revbump. I'll give you a simple example that I can think of.
11 >
12 > Say, you fix a semi-build-time issue of linking against unnecessary
13 > dep. Users who build the ebuild from now on benefit by having less
14 > deps. The dep is less problematic than rebuilding the package, so users
15 > who built it before prefer to wait for next version.
16 >
17 > But in this case, portage may implicitly update the deps from ebuild
18 > without rebuilding it. This means that users who still link against
19 > the dep, may end up with the dep removed and program broken.
22 If there was a portage feature of some kind that triggered a rebuild
23 when /var/db/* deps mismatched ebuild deps, I'd use that ( similar to
24 how you can trigger a rebuild when USE changes )
25
26 I'm one of those people who doesn't mind installing the same thing a
27 million times a week =)
30 Kent