From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:12:07
1 On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 22:03 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > If there is anything you or genone need to make signing happening you
3 > have to the full support of the
4
5 > council
6 That should not be difficult if the proposal is discussed and accepted
7 by all other groups
8
9 > infra
10 it should be non-invasive and well documented
11
12 > hardened/security.
13 ... while offering good security
14
15 So I suggest that infra and hardened/security warn of any problems they
16 see, it would be silly to have a detailed battleplan only to have
17 someone kill it at the last minute ...
18
19 =====
20
21 Some short comments on robbat2's proposal:
22 > > Summary:
23 > > -----------
24 > > This is a brief summary of the suggestions and choices above.
25 > > This summary outline is assuming a model such as the hybrid or complex
26 > > models.
27 > >
28 > > - Each developer shall have a GnuPG key.
29 > > - Each developer key shall contain at least one uid, with name and Gentoo email
30 > > address of the developer.
31 > > - Each developer must create a secondary cryptokey with the following
32 > > parameters (designated as their Gentoo signing cryptokey):
33 > > Key Type: RSA
34 > > Key Length: 2048 or 4096
35 > > Expiry time: Set at 6 months out
36 > > Usage: Marked as signing only.
37 I think these parameters are acceptable. I can't think of compelling
38 technical reasons to change them.
39
40 > > - Each developer shall regularly update the expiry time (GnuPG enforces
41 > > this) of the cryptokey, keeping it no further than 6 months ahead of
42 > > the present date, except where otherwise decided.
43 Enforcing this will be difficult, so I think it should be seen as a
44 strong guideline (we can't stop you, but please don't mess up)
45
46 > > - Each developer should have a revocation certificate for their key, and
47 > > store two copies in a secure offline location (I suggest two CD-RWs,
48 > > of different brands, stored in separate locations, refreshed every 6
49 > > months, but floppy disks would work as well).
50 No way to enforce this
51
52 > > - Each developer will sign all of their commits with their Gentoo
53 > > signing cryptokey only. They should not sign anything else, nor use
54 > > other cryptokeys for signing Gentoo commits.
55 > > - (Optional, for those creating new keys only) a best practice would be
56 > > to have a primary key that is marked as certifying only.
57 Sounds reasonable
58
59 > > (This part here needs more discussion, which may end up that N=1 is
60 > > valid).
61 > > - There will be N master keys.
62 For N>1: who controls the master keys?
63
64 > > - A master key will have a secondary cryptokey conforming to the same
65 > > requirements as the developer Gentoo signing cryptokey.
66 > > - A master key will certify all Gentoo developer keys on a regular
67 > > basis. This can be done on 4 month intervals safely, with once-off
68 > > events to sign keys of incoming developers, or other special cases.
69 Why not sync this to the 6 month expiry time?
70 Also you might want to add:
71 - All keys and the master key shall be made available on Gentoo media
72 (install-cd etc) and other ressources (ebuilds, download from known
73 locations, stored on public keyservers)
74
75 > > - When a developer leaves, the certification on their key shall be
76 > > revoked.
77 > > - Both infra and the council should hold the revocation control for a
78 > > master key in some way so that cooperation is needed to actually revoke
79 > > a master key.
80 This will be very tricky to implement.
81 > > (For future stuff:)
82 > > For performing releases of Gentoo (releng), a designated key be used,
83 > > and be certified by the master key.
84 This should be discussed with releng. While I don't see why they should
85 disagree I dislike forcing any policy on others.
86
87 > > Outstanding points:
89 > > - Discussion of how the keymaster(s) should operate to maintain the
90 > > keyring.
91 Plus, of course, what to sign, how to sign it, how to handle failures.
92
93 Patrick
94 --
95 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move