From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEWS item for games destabling
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 20:36:51
1 On 27/11/17 20:34, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 27/11/17 18:44, Christopher Head wrote:
4 >>> For those of us who run mostly stable systems, there is one question I don’t know a good answer to.
5 >>>
6 >>> If I add a specific version of a game to package.accept_keywords, I will get that version forever. That’s not really what I want: I prefer to stay up to date as new versions are packaged.
7 >>>
8 >>> If I add just a cat/pkg to p.a_k, Portage will always try to pull in the latest version. If that version has some unstable dependencies which I haven’t also accepted, Portage will yell at me. An example of this is games-emulation/mednafen-0.9.46 depending on dev-libs/lzo-2.10, the latter of which is unstable.
9 >>>
10 >>> What I really want to install is, “the latest version of the package that doesn’t pull in any deps that aren’t available (stable or accepted),” but I don’t know any way to tell Portage that. Am I missing something, or is that indeed impossible?
11 >> Sounds to me a failure in adhering to the stabilisation criterion that
12 >> state that all deps must be stabilised FIRST .. as the bugzilla
13 >> stable-bot will now automagically check ...
14 >>
15 > Nobody is stabilizing anything. That is the whole reason he raised
16 > that concern. He wants to use ~arch versions of games, with stable
17 > dependencies.
18 >
19 > To answer his question, there is not any way out-of-the-box to tell
20 > portage to install the latest ~arch version of a package that has only
21 > stable or already-accepted dependencies. Certainly it should be
22 > possible to build such a feature, but it doesn't exist today.
23 >
24 Ah my apologies .. that's definitely what most would consider a bit of
25 an 'edge case' then ..
26
27 Thanks for the clarification, Rich.