From: Bill Anderson <bill@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion, xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:57:04
Hello all, new soon-to-be-trying-gentoo person here.

Jerry A! wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:55:24AM -0600, Justin Vander Ziel wrote: > : Hello folks. > : > : 1. I managed to revise the iptables-1.1.2.ebuild script to handle > : iptables-1.2 -- and it worked! That is, except for one small problem: I > : forgot to build a package list for ebuild and BTW, how do I do this? > > That's the nifty thing about the portage system--it takes care of > creating the packing list.
say, that is nifty.
> : 2. the ebuild script chokes on versions such as in autofs-4.0.0-pre9.tar.bz2 > : (with accompanying ebuild file) -- when I do > : > : # ebuild autofs-4.0.0-pre9.ebuild merge > > That's not a valid name for an ebuild. Try something like > "autofs-4.0.0_p9.ebuild". Then in the ebuild, explicitly set $P to the > package name to use (eg "P=autofs-4.0.0-pre9")
Hmm, excuse my newness to gentoo (not installed until I get the drive backed up tomorrow or so (I hope)) ... but does this mean that hyphens are not valid in an ebuild name?
> : 4. kernel confusion > : When all is said and done why not just go with 2.4.0 stable? My neophyte > : logic says that if it's a final kernel release that has been blessed by > : Linus than at the very least, it must be more stable than the 2.3.X series > : or the 2.4.0-testX series (I don't know where the ac1/2/3 fit into this). > > Ahh, grasshopper. When many release cycles you've been through, trust a > point-oh release you will not. >
As compared to a prerelease test kernel? As someone who has been through many release cylces, I would have to dosagree, if that is your position. Justin As far as 'ac' those are Alan cox patched kernel. IME, they've been much better than the standard kernel. Alan Cox is basically the second in command in Linuxville, eventually the ac patches become merged (usually, but not always). Bill Anderson