From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:11:33
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 20:40, Sven Köhler wrote:
2
3 > Mike is telling me, that the 2006.0 tarballs will contain gcc-3.4.
4 > Then he's telling me, that the problem, that Im trying to point out, is
5 > going to vanish with the release of the 2006.0 tarballs. Well, yes,
6 > until the next gcc-slot becomes stable. So the problem is not fixed,
7 > just moved to the future again.
8
9 > Actually I'm told, that there's no automatic mechanism to get a "clean"
10 > gentoo system. So i'm told, that i have to take a stage3 tarball, and
11 > upgrade it to a clean system.
12
13 > If i follow that advice, i have to upgrade glibc, gcc, python and
14 > perhaps many more, clean the system from packages in old slots, and then
15 > run an "emerge -e world" (which compiles glibc, gcc, python again).
16 >
17 > Pretty much work for a beginnner!
18 > And there's pretty much of experience needed.
19
20 Wow, a voice of reason. That is exactly what I am saying. Gentoo is unique
21 because it it a moving target. The further in time you move away from an
22 official stage3, the worst a stage3 installation method gets. In fact it
23 turns into a outright nightmare. How long since the last up to date stage
24 tarballs?
25
26 Solutions?
27
28 Release stage tarballs monthly. If that can't be done, make fixing the
29 process so it can be done a priority.
30
31 For toolchain updates, a slightly modified bootstrap.sh that builds the
32 toolchain in the correct order and whatever is needed to bootstrap portage
33 afterwards would be a better approach. Fix the STAGE1_USE bug, comment out
34 CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" and FEATURES="-collision-protect" and you have a
35 perfectly reliable method to update the toolchain that takes half the time,
36 even on a running system. This would certainly be more realistic than
37 gutting portage so that it installs toolchain packages in the correct order
38 so that emerge -e system && emerge -e world is not needed. Get rid of
39 circular dependencies in portage so it can be portable. Embed its own
40 python version so it does not depend on packages with circular
41 dependencies. Do I know absolutely that any of these ideas will work?
42 Hell no, but I do know the current installation method sucks depending on
43 what time of the year it is, and the answer is not to entrench further in
44 an unreliable process.
45
46 If nothing else, stop treating users like idiots when they are not, at least
47 not all of them, all of the time.