From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: baselayout 2.5 changes
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:43:30
1 On 08/02/18 22:33, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > here is a link to an old, but brief discussion about this.
5 >
6 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/2fc1f62c7cf225787fe52f4dace7368c
7 >
8 > I think we have talked about this several other times, but not done
9 > anything about it.
10 >
11 > On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 10:17:59PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
12 >>
13 >> On 08/02/18 22:13, William Hubbs wrote:
14 >>> On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 03:55:02PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
15 >>>> However, there are plenty of examples of commands that normal users
16 >>>> may run from sbin. Moving these commands often causes problems for
17 >>>> packages that either hard code absolute paths, or detect paths at
18 >>>> build time. I think it would be less disruptive to add sbin to PATH
19 >>>> than it would be to try and "fix" all the packages that install
20 >>>> commands in the wrong place.
21 >>> There are no reasons to remove the *sbin directories from PATH; I know
22 >>> of no other distros that do this.
23 >>>
24 >>> William
25 >>>
26 >> Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean you are essentially relying on
27 >> file system features/permissions and security settings to enforce
28 >> correct use of system tools?! Or is this just to make sudo/etc commands
29 >> 'more convenient' ?!
30 > The basic problem is that what goes in *bin vs *sbin is quite arbitrary
31 > and the best way to fix it is to make all of the *bin and *sbin
32 > directories accessible to all users.
33 >
34 > You can't rely on a path to separate system-only programs from
35 > programs that users might want to run, and some programs can be run by
36 > users to look around but not change things.
37 >
38 > Here is one non-gentoo source discussing this.
39 >
40 > http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
41 >
42 > Even if we don't adopt the usr merge in Gentoo Linux as default, removing *sbin
43 > from the path doesn't make sense.
44 >
45 > William
46 >
47 Thank you William, and also rich for your explanations! I do see where
48 you're coming from now.
49
50 Michael.