From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] overlapping rarpd files dilemna
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:18:03
1 Hi All,
2
3 In attempting to write a netboot-howto for netboot based sparc
4 installs, I found that there are two packages which provide rarpd and the
5 associated man page. These two packages are net-misc/iputils and
6 net-misc/rarpd
7
8 Merlin, ~Kumba and I were discussing this a couple nights ago, and a few
9 items of note came up.
10
11 1) while both rarpds provide the same functionality, they are separate
12 programs, with each having some individual features the other doesn't.
13
14 2) net-misc/iputils is a system profile package, so if a blocking solution
15 were used, you could never emerge net-misc/rarpd
16
17 We didn't manage to come up with a way that seemed to be a clincher to
18 solve this, but a few suggestions were;
19
20 1) Adjust the net-misc/iputils ebuild to install rarpd as iputils-rarpd
21
22 2) Remove net-misc/rarpd
23
24 3) Have the ebuilds be blocking, so they can't both be installed at the
25 same time.
26
27 As you'll note, options 2 and 3 have pretty much the same effect.
28
29 So I'm throwing it out to you folks for
30 comments/opinions/suggestions/etc
31
32 Cheers,
33 --