From: Tim Yamin <plasmaroo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Caching service dependencies...
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:21:57
1 Agreed, I really miss my old, simple, and fast Portage and this new
2 depscan.sh code makes things visually irritating [it has to be silent
3 unless there's an error!] not to mention a slower Portage as a result.
4
5 Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
6 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
7 >
8 >> Hello,
9 >>
10 >> there are at least FOUR ${SUBJECT} messages for every package emerged.
11 >> Is this on purpose or it's a bug?
12 >>
13 >> $ emerge -V
14 >> Portage 2.0.49-r13 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.1, glibc-2.3.2-r1, 2.4.23)
17 >> Regards,
18 >> Norberto
21 > From </usr/share/doc/portage-2.0.49-r13/ChangeLog.gz> :
22 >
23 > 19 Sep 2003; Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o> portage.py: Unregister
24 > signal handling after receiving the signal and resend the signal we got.
25 > * Run depscan during env-update. Migrated eclass stuff into it's own
26 > pickle.
27 > Code for moving /var/cache/edb/dep into a pickle for each category added
28 > disabled via hardcoded value presently. Removed some try blocks in favor
29 > of detecting the cause of an error first -- Hopefully gives a little
30 > speed
31 > up. Cache fixes and useful output added. A tbz2 moving bug where an error
32 > was printed about files the destination existing already is now fixed.
33 > The
34 > dircache is cleared on every unmerge now, to ensure the cache does not
35 > * interfere. bzip2 is spawned with the quiet flag now. Update list is
36 > sorted
37 > for proper year/quarter order now. -arch isn't an invalid keywork
38 > anymore.
39 > Generic pickle reading and writing functions added.
40 >
41 > In short, yes it was deliberate. However, I find it incredibly strange
42 > that:
43 >
44 > (1) depscan.sh was added into env-update
45 > (2) env-update is now run four times on *every single emerge*
46 > (3) env-update now takes even longer to run
47 > (4) env-update is so verbose about these routine maintenance tasks i.e:
48 >
49 > $ env-update
50 > >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
51 > * Caching service dependencies... [ ok ]
52 >
53 > Although running depscan.sh through env-update resolves the problem of
54 > uncached dependencies printing errors during /etc/init.d/ activities, I
55 > believe that it should be made silent in its output since the output is
56 > always constant and that it should not be run so many times!
57 >
58 > I have a script which performs `emerge -Duv world`, logs the output and
59 > then produces all messages at the end. In the case of env-update
60 > messages I have had to: echo $OUTPUT | sed '/Caching service
61 > dependencies//d'.
62 >
63 > Incidentally, the idea of quietening bzip2 output was a welcome one.
64 >
65 > Any comments?
68 > --
69 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list