From: Johannes Huber <johu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Supporting both Qt4 and Qt5 builds
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 22:33:30
1 Am Sonntag, 10. August 2014, 14:51:45 schrieb Georg Rudoy:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm thinking of converting a few ebuilds (x11-libs/qwt,
5 > dev-libs/kqoauth, net-libs/qxmpp among them) to support building with
6 > both Qt4 and Qt5.
7 >
8 > Should this better be done by adding the corresponding useflags (qt4
9 > and qt5 respectively) or by slotting? The pros and cons for each, off
10 > the top of my head:
11 >
12 > slotting:
13 > + Allows having different use flags for qt4 and qt5 builds (can't
14 > think why that would be needed in the above examples though).
15 > - Possibility of exponential growth of the number of slots in case
16 > slotting would be required according to some other criteria (again,
17 > can't think why that would be needed in the above examples).
18 > - Requires keeping two different copies of the same ebuild with
19 > basically the same build rules, with all the consequences.
20 >
21 > useflags:
22 > + Seems to be easier and doing the required trick.
23 > + app-text/poppler already does this.
24 > - Enabling support for previously disabled Qt version requires
25 > rebuilding the whole library twice.
26 >
27 > What's your opinion on this?
28 >
29 > I've attached the useflag-based variant as a draft.
30
31 Multibuild is prefered.
34 Johannes Huber (johu)
35 Gentoo Linux Developer / KDE Team