From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:16:13
1 On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 12:16:18AM +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > > > * There is at least one outstanding QA issue that i know of which
3 > > > is related to Portage and can't be fixed w/o slot deps properly.
4 > > > Read: KDE's problems with ranged deps and the way it currently
5 > > > breaks the vdb's RDEPEND entries, especially regarding qt and
6 > > > kdelibs.
7 > >
8 > > Elaborating a bit, this actually is only a problem for pkgcore and
9 > > paludis; portage isn't affected since it prefers to try pulling the
10 > > metadata from $PORTDIR; reasoning is that way screw ups in the
11 > > metadata that are now locked in the vdb can be worked around via it.
12 > AFAIK zmedico spoke about moving portage to use vdb metadata instead.
13 > Before this could happen we needed a fix for it.
14
15 Suspect zac could confirm that's it's about weekly now for me nagging
16 him about gutting that ;)
19 > > You can trigger the same issue in portage via wiping pretty much
20 > > everything in PORTDIR (switching the tree, or just a literal rm of
21 > > everything but profiles crap), but that's fairly corner case.
22 > >
23 > > Don't much like the behavior myself, but updates/* would need
24 > > expansion to address the (massively long term) reasoning for portages
25 > > behavior. Upshot, running from vdb only instead of the dual lookup
26 > > would speed up portages resolution via less IO/parsing...
27 > >
28 > > Either way, the kde/qt issue was known from the get go- since slot
29 > > deps weren't available when they started down this path, they should
30 > > have used new style virtuals instead. Yes it's ugly, backwards
31 > > compatibility usually isn't utterly pretty- upshot of it however is
32 > > that the upgrade node is just a new style virtual, no real cost for
33 > > the operation.
34 > >
35 > > Breaking EAPI=0 via pushing slot deps in isn't much of an option in
36 > > my opinion; usual "needs to have been on release media for at least 6
37 > We can push for an EAPI=1 == (EAPI=0 + slot deps)...
38
39 Can, yep, although that was originally blocked by "EAPI=0 must be
40 defined", which folks seem to have backed off on.
41
42 One issue with adding EAPI=1 having just slot deps is that it skips
43 out on some long term changes intended- default src_install for
44 example, hell, making the default phase functions into an eclass
45 equivalent template. Clarifying, instead of
46 src_compile() {
47 default src compile crap
48 }
49
50 would do
51 base_src_compile() {
52 default src compile crap
53 }
54
55 That way if you just need to tweak one thing, you can still use the
56 default src_compile- basically same trick EXPORT_FUNCTIONS does.
57
58 Either way, EAPI=1 *should* have a bit more then just slot deps in my
59 opinion; very least it needs discussion to discern what folks want.
62 > > months" would apply here at the very least. The problem is that
63 > > 2.1.2 is the first portage version to have slot deps- that is a
64 > > fairly recent stabling, so there still would be a good chunk of time
65 > > to wait *if* the daft old method of just shoving stuff in and
66 > > watching things break was took.
67 >
68 > What breakage specifically? Portage versions that don't support EAPI?
69
70 Breakage there I'm referring to trying to is a set of folks
71 trying to shove it into EAPI=0.
74 > > Meanwhile, worth remembering during the interim while slot deps
75 > > aren't usable, new style virtual does address it (even if it's a
76 > > gross trick)
77 >
78 > I prefer we solve this problem instead of hacking around it once more.
79
80 Even with EAPI=1 route, still going to require some time to actually
81 address it- have to define EAPI=1, make sure portage supports it
82 fully, make sure it's stable for all arches, etc. That's a several
83 month proceess, best case, 30 days if somehow everyone agrees to
84 eapi=1 today, zac implements it tonight, and releases it tomorrow
85 morning (with no bugs).
86
87 So... again- it's not pretty, but it's not an issue that's going to be
88 solved tomorrow, so it's not a bad idea to take a look at ways to work
89 around it. Very least, if the new style virtual route was taken,
90 switching over to slot deps (when available) would be easy- update the
91 virtual, then start pruning the tree for anything depending on the
92 virtual.
93
94 ~harring