From: "Mathijs Kwik (-=TRoXX=-)" <troxx@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GlibC
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:21:02
1 Safe upgrading? :)
2
3 I tried 2 things which both fail...
4 using build-tarball:
5 changing the bootstrap-file to use glibc-2.2.3-r1 instead of 2.2.3
6 the build-tarball has 2.2.3-r1 allready installed so installing 2.2.3 would
7 be stupid(but it's still in the bootstrap-file).
8
9 and i also tried installing 2.2.3-r1 on a system with system=tarball
10 extracted... which also has 2.2.3-r1 in it.
13 so in both those cases I 'upgrade' a package to itself.
14 and in both cases it breaks everything on the system...
15 I don't know what exactly happens on the build-system.
16 but on the system-system(wow:) I end up having a 0-byte libc-2.2.3.so
17
18 so I don't know why this is... it's very easy to regenerate te error (did it
19 a few times, I thought it was just me:)
20
21 so either portage has a buggy, or glibc 2.2.3-r1.ebuild is buggy (because I
22 never got it to build+installed using portage).
23
24 please fix this or help me :)
27 ---
30 another small thing I don't like (and I'm not the only one, I spoke some
31 guys on #gentoo who think the same)
32 the portage-tree is TOOOO big :)
33 there are things in it like diffs(some quite big) and even the
34 logo-header-file(almost 2M).
35 can't we just put all files/* stuff in a separate place on ibiblio/cvs and
36 put them in ebuild-files? (or let portage check if there are any
37 diffs/patches/additions)
38 I mean the portage-tree should just contain enough info to download+build
39 everything...
40 having diff's in there for packages that I'm not gonna install anyway seems
41 useless to me.
42
43 It's about 20M now... should be possible to reduce it to 2Mb :)
44 not because of bandwith, just for clean design.
45 Some others DO care about bandwith, which I can understand also.
48 Greetings
49 /Mathijs