From: Herbert Fischer <herbert.fischer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flags groups
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:16:46
1 I see that the USE flags list is very big today but I don't know if
2 it's growing too fast. So, I may think that someday Gentoo will need
3 some mechanism to facilitate USE flags configuration.
4
5 I suggest the creation of a "USE flags grouping mechanism" to help the
6 decision making of configuring make.conf when doing initial setup or
7 somewhere else. For example: If we want a web server with Apache, "PHP
8 with all functions" and MySQL we could place one single flag like AMP
9 (Apache+MySQL+PHP) on make.conf, or if we want a desktop machine with
10 full support to imaging and media encoding we could place one single
11 flag like "MULTIMEDIA" on make.conf and voilá.
12
13 I have lots of friends that hates taking hours selecting "packages"
14 during other distributions installations or configuring things like
15 this (that takes very long time to see every option/flag) and I think
16 idea this could bring a very quick Gentoo pre-install.
17
18 What do you think?
19
20 PS.: Sorry for my "english"...