From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: Jeremy Winick <jeremy.winick@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo social contract
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:35:30
1 Jeremy Winick <jeremy.winick@×××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > I just found out about your project from an O'Reilly web article.
4 > Sounds very interesting. However, when I went to your web site and
5 > looked at the pages, I saw Nvidia logo. Now how can one as my experience
6 >
7 > serves, use Nvidia graphics boards with Open GL without Nvidia
8 > proprietary
9 > code. I have been using RH 7.3 on a Dell with Nvidia and I must "taint"
10 > the
11 > kernel to include Nvidia's proprietary 3-D kernel modules. Do you have
12 > another way, such as open source drivers that work well. You must if
13 > you use Nvidia and support games (I am not really a gamer so I guess I
14 > could get away without using Nvidia's code).
15
16 After you emerge x11-base/xfree, just run "opengl-update xfree" to
17 choose the free driver for nvidia cards. Most likely the opengl-update
18 step isn't even necessary (and you don't have to install the
19 proprietary nvidia-{kernel,glx} anyway). Just make sure you use the
20 "nv" driver in your /etc/X11/XF86Config.
21
22 ,----[ XF86Config ]
23 | Section "Module"
24 | Load "dbe"
25 | SubSection "extmod"
26 | Option "omit xfree86-dga"
27 | EndSubSection
28 | Load "type1"
29 | Load "freetype"
30 | EndSection
31 |
32 | Section "Device"
33 | Identifier "NVIDIA Riva TNT2"
34 | Driver "nv"
35 | EndSection
36 `----
37
38 Note the *missing* "Load "glx"" in the Module section too.
39
40 Not sure about the Nvidia logo on the web-site though??? I suppose
41 we're recommending the proprietary drivers over the free drivers in a
42 way...
43
44 Matt
45 --