From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:16:19
1 >>>>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 >> I tend to interpret it in the latter sense. To illustrate why, let's
4 >> look at sci-visualization/gnuplot-4.6.0 as an example:
5 >>
6 >> LICENSE="gnuplot GPL-2 bitmap? ( free-noncomm )"
7 >>
8 >> The bulk of the package is free software, distributed under the
9 >> gnuplot license or the GPL-2. However, there's an additional notice
10 >> with a no-sale clause in a single source file (src/bitmap.c).
11 >> If LICENSE applies to installed files, than we can disable the
12 >> functionality via USE=-bitmap and we're done.
13
14 > I guess we can get away with redistributing the source files each
15 > under their respective license, since there is no "derived work" at
16 > this point. However, any binaries built from such a thing would not
17 > be redistributable. None of those licenses are GPL-compatible.
18
19 This is not a problem here. Gnuplot itself is licensed under the
20 gnuplot license. The GPL licensed parts (e.g. Gnuplot mode for Emacs)
21 are not linked with it but installed separately. The GPL doesn't
22 forbid mere accumulation of things, so redistribution of the binary
23 isn't an issue.
24
26
27 > Not necessarily the end of the world to be honest - how many things
28 > do we have in the tree for which upstream only has an scm and no
29 > source tarballs, so we have to roll our own on every release anyway
30 > due to the prohibition on live scm packages being unmasked?
31
32 Too many already, so we shouldn't add more when it's not necessary.
33
34 Ulrich