From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:31:47
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 12:12:57 +0100
5 Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Tuesday 19 Jan 2016 00:44:49, NP-Hardass wrote :
8 > > With all of the unclaimed herds and unclaimed packages within them,
9 > > I started to wonder what will happen after the GLEP 67 transition
10 > > finally comes to fruition. This left me with some concerns and I
11 > > was wondering what the community thinks about them, and some
12 > > possible solutions.
13 > >
14 > > There is a large number of packages from unclaimed herds that, at
15 > > this time, look like they will not be claimed by developers. This
16 > > will likely result in a huge increase in maintainer-needed packages
17 > > (and subsequent package rot). This isn't to say that some of these
18 > > packages weren't previously in a "maintainer-needed" like state, but
19 > > now, they will explicitly be there.
20 > >
21 > > A possible approach to reducing this is to adopt some new policies.
22 > >
23 > > The first of which is an "adopt-a-package" type program. In
24 > > functionality, this is no different than proxy-maintenance, however,
25 > > this codifies it into an explicit policy whereby users are
26 > > encouraged to step and take over a package. This obviously
27 > > requires a greater developer presence in the proxy-maint project
28 > > (or something similar), but, personally, I think that a stronger
29 > > dev presence in proxy-maint would be better for Gentoo as a whole.
30 > >
31 > > The second policy change would be that maintainer-needed packages
32 > > can have updates by anyone while maintaining the standard "you fix
33 > > it if you break it" policy. This would extend to users as well.
34 > > With the increased ease that users can contribute via git/github,
35 > > they should be encouraged to contribute and have their efforts
36 > > facilitated to ease contributions to whatever packages they desire
37 > > (within the maintainer-needed category).
38 > >
39 > > Similar to the concept of a "bugday," coupled with above, an
40 > > "ebuildday" where users and devs get together so users can learn to
41 > > write ebuilds and for devs to work together to maintain packages
42 > > that usually fall outside their normal workload could prove
43 > > beneficial to the overall health of Gentoo packaging.
44 > >
45 > > Once again, these are just some random musings inspired by recent
46 > > events on the dev ML, and thought it might be worth discussing.
47 > > I've cc'd proxy-maint as a lot of this discussion is likely to
48 > > involve them, and would like them to put in their official opinion
49 > > as well.
52 > > --
53 > > NP-Hardass
54 >
55 > More food for thought on the topic of "what do we do with
56 > maintainer-wanted packages".
57 >
58 > NP-Hardass I quite like your idea but what about clearing down the
59 > massive queue of reports assigned to maintainer-wanted first?
60 >
61 > Right now, the number of bug reports assigned to maintainer-wanted
62 > amounts to over 4k: http://tiny.cc/maintainer_wanted
63 >
64 > There's literally a slew of reports we can mark as WONTFIX / OBSOLETE
65 > because, well, some of these bugs are over 10 years old (!) and a lot
66 > of projects have stalled / are dead by now / or the industry has
67 > moved on. It has to be done at some point anyway so better now than
68 > later. And the upside is that it doesn't require ebuild skills or
69 > knowing Gentoo by heart: only clicking links and checking whether
70 > projects are still alive.
71 >
72 > What do you think?
75 On behalf of the proxy-maintainers project, it is perhaps fitting to
77 citing of herd to the new versioned projects, and so forth.
78
79 This topic touches on the potential impact upon the orphaned package
80 list known as maintainer-needed. Patrice has more or less pulled in the
81 associated list of bugs under maintainer-wanted. The two combined boast
82 an awesome tally.
83
84 In brief, the proxy-maintainer project has had a significant change of
85 face in the last 6 or so months. While it had some momentum as a
86 vehicle in which users can proxy maintain packages and overshadowing
87 sunrise, it almost collapsed into a memory of history at election time
88 when the lead elected to not be nominated for election, then promptly
89 withdrew from the project entirely, no-one nominated anyone else and
90 consequently no-one voted for anyone else in a typical non election.
91 Having accidentally missed the election period, in collaboration with
92 jlec & mrueg, it was endorsed that I took the lead role, and
93 concurrently created the channel #gentoo-proxy-maint. Clearly, this is
94 not common knowledge since some responders to this thread have pointed
95 users at gentoo-dev-help as a source of support, quite unaware of the
96 existence of the channel, let alone the rate of activity it generates,
97 arguably possessing the longest logs of any given day in any gentoo
98 channel since its inception. Such is the state of activity of users
99 discussing gentoo and working ebuilds and pull requests, and various
100 cakes, on a daily basis. The release of the Reviewer's project also
101 give it an automatic boost.
102
103 While the project was forged on the notion of users picking up packages
104 from the orphaned package list, it has simply added to its 'raison
105 dêtre' by users maintaining new packages to portage under the
106 supervision of the devs of the project. This came into vogue before I
107 joined. What this has done is to generate a need for extended policies
108 given the expanded activities and the permutations that come with them.
109
110 With regard to this thread, the points that relate are:
111
112 1. the impact of the addition of packages to the maintainer-wanted
113 list,
114 2. the existence of the maintainer-wanted list in its own right
115 3. The practices and policies in the proxy-maintainers project in its
116 current period
117 4. The notion of bugday and ebuild day floated and re-cited in the
118 initial thread.
119 5. Documentation and record / stats keeping performed within the
120 modern day gentoo.
121
122 The purpose here is to state a stance on behalf of the
123 proxy-maintainers project relative to its place re the above issues /
124 processes. Keeping it brief has already proven nigh on impossible.
125
126 As much as it urks, in this case I shall have to side with mgorny's
127 'stance on issue number 1.
128
129 "this isn't going to be some kind of huge growth. Right now I can count
130 380 new maintainer-needed packages, from which some will most likely be
131 mapped. I would estimate the final outcome to around 300 packages,
132 maybe less"
133
134 The notion that the "fallthrough" of around 300 packages has cause
135 some to anticipate a possible flurry of activity upon the
136 proxy-maintainers project since it is the only project designated to
137 deal directly with the orphaned package list. Frankly, mgorny's
138 approach here rings true; it may end up being a big meh. It is merely
139 speculation that the "shuffling come loss" of any distinguishable
140 ownership will cause ripples of activity in the project. Firstly, the
141 project requires devs and users willing to grab the packages and commit
142 changes to the tree. As a broad statement of response, the project is
143 ready and able if the cause arises. If I had not reshaped it to what it
144 is, the list of users and devs of the channel would not exist. The
145 project itself likely would not exist as a recognizable functioning
146 entity. This isn't a case of blowing my own horn, this is merely a
147 summary of a series of observable and recorded events.
148
149 As the replies have already illustrated, there are many permutations
150 of states possible to this shuffled list. To pre-empt them is frankly
151 foolhardy.
152
153 2. The maintainer-wanted list. monsieurp has included this in the mix
154 in a prior reply in this thread. After some inhouse discussion with the
155 most active current key members, it's apparent that some see little
156 value in investing time and effort into culling and, in fact finally
157 directly dealing with, on embarrassingly huge history of inattention
158 and outright shunning by the developer community towards legitimately
159 presented requests by users. Others in fact do. (Horses for courses)
160 While the project has no duty towards dealing with this small mountain,
161 it does represent 'work', under a package manager banner, that can be
162 executed by advanced and willing users, overseered by a developer or
163 two, that also qualifies as legitimate training exercises in the
164 acquisition / development of the skill set required to become a
165 developer. All this is consistent with the overall mission of this
166 project. While neither obliged nor pressured, there are already some
167 users of the member's list who have begun an assault on this formidable
168 and ancient list.
169
170 3. With recent policies added to the wiki page of the project, it is
171 adequately equipped to deal with what may spill forth form the switch.
172 The page has had a section added by monsieurp which I edited (mostly for
173 grammar and style), and a link to a new page; Project:Proxy
174 Maintainers/Maintainer Wanted, dealing precisely with the points
175 raised by monsieurp in his (previous) reply. They have a set of
176 criteria with which to make the decisions required to manage the bugs.
177
178 4. The bugday is merely an entry in the pages of bugs I have never
179 seen enacted, or organised, and acted upon. Frankly, an ebuild, while
180 a viable idea, sounds like what we do in the channel most days.
181 However, an idea or activity of this type, albeit a repetition of a day
182 in the life of the proxy-maintainers, still makes for a legit addition
183 to what gentoo cam make available to nay users who may attend,
184 assisting in the learning curve that must be trodden by any user, or
185 mentoree, keen to advance their skills. This remains, traditionally,
186 an endemic gap in the fabric that is modern gentoo environment.
187
188 5. At the risk of sounding like Patrick, gentoo lacks some forms of
189 documentation pertaining to established proxy maintainers and to forms
190 of stats analysis. In discussions, points were raised regarding the
191 gathering of stats data re packages' tally of downloads and instances
192 of emerging into a gentoo system. Most of the desired stats appear to
193 lack any form of tools available to gather and report data that would
194 prove helpful in evaluating packages of either the m-w or m-n lists.
195
196 The topic of recruitment and recruiting are tied, but imo, quite
197 disparate.
200 - --
201 kind regards
202