From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Removing a blocker from a stable package
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:59:11
1 I've got two obsolete packages masked currently: app-text/unix2dos and
2 app-doc/djbdns-man. Both of them block other stable packages,
3 app-text/dos2unix and net-dns/djbdns respectively.
4
5 Fortunately, both of them have had version/revision bumps since the
6 blocker so we can remove the blocker from the newer ebuild and then
7 stabilize that, at which point there's no problem. But I wonder, what
8 would be the best way to handle the situation if no version/revision
9 bump had occurred?
10
11 In other words, suppose that net-dns/djbdns-1.05-r30 didn't exist. In
12 -r29, I have,
13
14 KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 hppa ~mips ppc ppc64 sparc x86"
15 DEPEND="!app-doc/djbdns-man"
16
17 and app-doc/djbdns-man is now hard masked. Suppose I remove djbdns-man
18 from the tree -- what do I do about the blocker? I see a couple of options:
19
20 a) Edit the stable ebuild with ones fingers crossed
21
22 b) Do a revbump and wait it out
23
24 c) Do a revbump and file a stablereq immediately
25
26 d) Do nothing, will repoman tolerate that?
29 (b) is obviously safest, but (c) seems reasonable as well all things
30 considered. Will the answer change when portage drops dynamic deps?