From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] Add RESTRICT="distcc" capability
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:58:06
1 On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:47:09 -0700
2 Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o> wrote:
3 > > It looks to me like hardened is doing entirely the wrong thing.
4 > > Thus, the proper fix is to make hardened behave itself.
5 >
6 > It looks to me like you've already made up your mind. How is
7 > hardened doing the entirely wrong thing? What do you propose can be
8 > done to "fix" the hardened compiler? What about madwifi-ng? You are
9 > getting increasingly narrow in your points of objection.
10
11 I suggest you get the hardened upstream people to stop abusing the -D
12 switch to gcc. The distcc people suggest the same.
13
14 > Parallel building problems can often and should be addressed
15 > properly. I don't want the answer to every one that comes along to
16 > be to add RESTRICT="distcc". This is something to be addressed
17 > through developer documentation that using RESTRICT="distcc" should
18 > be a last resort.
19
20 Uh, RESTRICT=distcc won't even fix parallel make problems. It'll just
21 make them harder to reproduce on some systems.
22
23 > However, in practice making a package parallel-make safe isn't always
24 > trivial. So what happens in these cases is FEATURES=distcc && die
25 > check is put in place killing the emerge chain and requiring user
26 > intervention. Either that or the bug just lingers and the compile
27 > fails somewhere in the middle...
28
29 ...or you could use -j1, which whilst being horrible will at least work.
30
31 > I don't know about palaudis but this is like a one line patch to
32 > portage. But silly me, I thought the package manager was there to
33 > support the distribution.
34
35 You have yet to demonstrate how RESTRICT=distcc will help. In fact, you
36 seem to be demonstrating that all it'll do is make a few people apply a
37 'fix' that won't reliably fix anything.
38
39 *If* there's a legitimate use for RESTRICT=distcc then I am entirely in
40 favour of it. But it looks like there isn't, with every issue being
41 either a parallelism issue (which RESTRICT=distcc won't fix), a user
42 configuration issue (which RESTRICT=distcc won't fix) or a hardened
43 toolchain bug (for which RESTRICT=distcc is massive overkill, and thus
44 the wrong solution). You've decided upon a solution before you've
45 worked out what the problem is.
48 Ciaran McCreesh