From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:25:34
1 On 4/10/07, Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > as everyone probably noticed, there is a current atmosphere of sinking ship,
5 > with quite a lot of people leaving and many agreeing that gentoo is no fun
6 > working on anymore. Before it's too late, I'd like to propose a big reformation
7 > that would help solve some of the issues we are currently having and,
8 > hopefully, bring back some of the fun we all had developing and using this
9 > distribution.
10
11 Thank you for bringing this up. I think the discussion is very important.
12
13 It is first time I response to a "political" issue here... So forgive
14 me if I am totally wrong.
15
16 I don't think this is the reason people are leaving.
17 I think people are leaving because a lack of direction.
18 I am not aware of any goal Gentoo distribution wish to acquire. For
19 example: Do we wish to use a mainstream distribution? Do we aim to a
20 specific user community? Or Do we develop distribution for our use?
21
22 If you wish to be (And I think we should be) mainstream distribution,
23 we should derive targets, such as QA level, response times and
24 content.
25
26 Being more modular is one technical feature to achieve better
27 stability. But we should discuss the basics first.
28
29 I hear a lot that open source project with unpaid developers cannot be
30 committed to deadlines or requirements from its developers, but I
31 disagree. There can be an open source project with high quality
32 products and dead lines, if these properly defined.
33
34 I am quite new here, but it seems like there are few groups here, from
35 a group that interested in anarchy to a group that interested in
36 formal hierarchy.
37
38 I must disclose that in my view whenever a large group of people are
39 doing something together, some kind of hierarchy must be in place. And
40 I am not talking about current council, it seems that current council
41 does not LEAD Gentoo anywhere.
42
43 I read that sometime in history there was an effort to impose
44 structural format on the community, but then Daniel Robbins left?
45
46 If we wish to be a major distribution, we must grow. If we to grow we
47 must organize our-self better, and work toward a common goal. Common
48 goal forces decision making. Decision making forces leadership.
49 Leadership forces vision.
50
51 Is there any vision?
52
53 Now, for your idea.
54 When I written something similar in the past, someone told me that it
55 was already suggested... I don't know why it wasn't accepted.
56
57 I think too that ebuilds should exists in several overlays. At least:
58 Stage3 (current)
59 Base (baselayout, networking, boot loaders etc)
60 <herd>-tear-<N>
61
62 Each tear should have commitments for:
63 1. Time from upstream release package until it in overlay.
64 2. Time from security issue until it in stable.
65 3. Time from stable request until make stable per each platform.
66 4. Time for addressing bug, time for solving bug.
67 5. Keep last N stable version (major, minor).
68 I guess you got the idea.
69
70 For example, for crypto there can be several overlays, tear-1 overlay
71 with core packages, tear-2 with misc packages, tear-3 with supported
72 at free-time bases.
73 Each tear has its own measures.
74
75 tear-1 desktop cannot be dependent on tear-2 crypto, the desktop herd
76 need to ask crypto herd to move the package into tear-1 before
77 dependency is added.
78
79 I totally agree that each user may ask for package of specific
80 overlay, but I think that this should not be specified in the build,
81 but by the user at /etc/portage.
82
83 For example, I decide that dev-libs/gtk+ should be from overlay X the
84 portage should take it from there.
85
86 But I believe we should first discuss the community goals, then derive
87 a technical solution.
88
89 Best Regards,
90 Alon Bar-Lev.