From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 06:29:48
1 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> posted 1246502033.5688.40.camel@localhost,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 01 Jul 2009 19:33:52 -0700:
3
4 > Why would you vote for somebody who did not even publish a manifesto? I
5 > don't know but I love you for it. My only intention was to help offset
6 > dev-zero being able force the will of outside forces upon us. Well that
7 > has been accomplished for now (w00t). But I never ever expected to be
8 > ranked so high. "/me blushes" So that means you guys/gals expect stuff
9 > from me. Well as I never wrote a manifesto but you still voted for me,
10
11 Those two reasons (offset, no manifesto) are IMO /the/ (singular) reason
12 you were the #1 pick.
13
14 You are highly respected for your "no fuss, just do it, make it work"
15 attitude, while respecting other devs' territory, over a relatively long
16 period with Gentoo. It's that same attitude that had you running with no
17 manifesto, either they've worked with you long enough and respect you and
18 your judgment and positions well enough to support you, or they don't, no
19 manifesto need apply. In fact, a manifesto would have contradicted that
20 reputation, and as such, you'd have only lost votes putting one up.
21
22 The offset thing simply reinforced that. Think about it.
23
24 > Devs should have a right to voice their concerns to the council and
25 > engage in interactive conversations without being labeled troll.
26
27 > An EAPI review committee
28
29 Has potential. Keeps it out of the council's hair until time for the
30 recommendation and up/down vote.
31
32 > It should be our job to look at the projects in Gentoo. Look at the ones
33 > that have a healthy community and encourage and promote them in ways.
34
35 > prefix comes to mind. [] I'm not even a user. [] But there is community
36 > support and it's the icing on the cake for some. So I'll back the fsck
37 > up and give credit where it's due.
38
39 > I won't engage in endless discussions. Facts can be presented.
40 > They will be reviewed on merit, technical and social.
41
42 > allow those who are council members in Gentoo to accomplish things
43 > other than the council only.
44
45 > So lets have some damn fun again !@#$ Thanks.
46
47 Wow! Users thank you too. That's why people voted for you. Looking
48 forward to Gentoo's new year! =:^)
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman