From: Christian Wiese <cw@×××.net>
To: David Pavlotzky <david@××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE FLAG for DJBs daemontools
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:33:46
1 On Tuesday 25 February 2003 19:46, David Pavlotzky wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 February 2003 19:23, Christian Wiese wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I'm a great fan of DJB's daemontools.
6 > > In my eyes it would be helpfull to have a USE FLAG for it, to
7 > > automaticaly build packages with daemontools support if possible.
8 > >
9 > > What do you think about it?
10 >
11 > I think this would be great. I also thought about this.
12 >
13 > It should probably be a virtual (I think portage supports this) thingy,
14 > since there are more DMD's.
15 >
16 > See:
17 >
18 > (http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/05/09/sysadminguide.html
19 >
20 > this way everybody can choose his favorite DMD. My vote would be to call
21 > the USE flag "dmd"
24 Hi David,
25
26 I don't know if virtual packages are the right solution, because I'm fairly
27 new to gentoo. Till know I've just scratched on the surface.
28 Perhaps somebody with more knowledge can help us?!?
29 The problems I see, are the differences in functionality and configurations
30 between all the "DMD's", and how to figure out, which "DMD" is used by the
31 system to install the right configuration and run scripts.
32 I just use daemontools at the moment, and I think this will not change the
33 next time.
34 I've to take a closer look to the posibilities of virtual packages.
35
36 Christian
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list