From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first steps in gentoo devolment
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:35:30
1 On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:05:09 +0100, Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@××××.nl>
2 wrote:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I have updated a ebuild to a new version.
6 >
7 > Am I right I have to make a local repo to test if it's build.
8 > And does ebuild x.ebuild manifest also builds the package or do I
9 > have to use emerge x for that.
10 >
11 > And for testing Is repoman scan enough after looking if the package
12 > can installed of course.
13 >
14 > I have looked into the manuals but I cannot find a clear answer.
15 >
16 > Roelof
19 > ---
20 > Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast!
21 > Antivirus-bescherming actief is. http://www.avast.com
25 `ebuild ... manifest` only downloads the files listed in SRC_URI of the
26 ebuild and creates/updates the file 'Manifest' in the same directory as
27 the ebuild file. The same can also be accomplished by running `repoman
28 manifest` from the directory containing the ebuild file.
29
30 To build the package, you can use emerge like you would for a
31 main-tree package. This requires you to set PORTDIR_OVERLAY in
32 make.conf (or your environment) to point to your overlay. It also
33 requires superuser access for most actions.
34
35 Alternatively, you can run individual phases with `ebuild ... $command`
36 (see ebuild(1) [1] for the right commands for the different phases).
37 Prerequisite phases are run for most commands, notably excepting
38 'qmerge'. Dependencies are not automatically installed when using
39 `ebuild` directly, so you must first make sure they are installed, for
40 example using `emerge --oneshot --noreplace list of dependencies`.
41
42 repoman does not run the code in the /functions/ of an ebuild
43 (src_configure and so on), but only performs static analysis on them.
44 Thus, problems arising from actually running the package's build system
45 can not be caught this way.
46
47 You should probably also verify that the stuff that gets installed by
48 your ebuild actually works before you share it with others, which would
49 require you to actually build and install it to your system as
50 described above.
51
52 1: https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.1.html
55 eroen