From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sunrise@g.o, ohnobinki@××××××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (New) sunrise-commit -- a commit helper script for Gentoo devs
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 21:19:55
1 Hello,
2
3 For quite a long time, Sunrise overlay users were using
4 sunrise-commit script to commit their ebuilds to Sunrise. That
5 script can still be found in app-portage/overlay-utils [1] but it is
6 pretty old and limited, and not really useful outside Sunrise.
7
8 Some time ago I started working on an improved, fresh re-implementation
9 of sunrise-commit [2]. Although the script originally was still quite
10 limited, right now it is able to handle committing to various overlays
11 and the gx86 tree as well, and that's why I'd like to commit the ebuild
12 into gx86 eventually.
13
14 But before doing so (and thus encouraging Sunrise users to replace
15 their old scripts with the new one), I'd like to ask more devs
16 for a review. Right now, a working ebuild installing the script
17 and the manpage can be found in the 'mgorny' overlay [3].
18
19 Now, for the long description, the new sunrise-commit is a general
20 Gentoo repository commit helper. It is a wrapper around echangelog,
21 repoman and VCS-es. It's main features are:
22
23 - support for CVS, svn, git and hg repos (including explicit support
24 for git-svn),
25 - ChangeLog auto-reverts -- you can abort the commit, change the commit
26 message and sunrise-commit will adjust the ChangeLog without trouble,
27 - bug reference checking -- if s-c finds something looking like a bug
28 number in your commit message, it will try to grab its summary line,
29 - (simple) package removal scenario -- mostly for Sunrise or other
30 custom repos, don't think it's appropriate for CVS.
31
32 That's all what I can think of now. I'm open to suggestions and feature
33 requests, and I'd be happy to improve sunrise-commit to meet Gentoo
34 developer needs.
35
36 [1]
37 http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/browser/reviewed/app-portage/overlay-utils