From: Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:38:20
1 aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
4 >weeve@g.o said:
7 >>I personally would very much like to leave ChangeLogs as they are.
8 >>We already have tools to make sure they are in the right format
9 >>(though repoman doesn't check for it and yes developers can choose
10 >>not to use these tools). I think changing them over to XML would
11 >>be more overhead in file size and in required tools to parse them
12 >>than is really necessary. If the problem is that people can't
13 >>follow directions, then don't punish those of us who do.
17 >I second that feeling. If what we're trying to achieve is to have a
18 >way to signal to the sysadmins that a security update is present, why
19 >not just add a [S] entry to 'emerge -pv'? That way the community
20 >packaging gentoo can stay on step with the development of the upstream
21 >project (low cost), and the sysadmin was to decide (and take the cost)
22 >for doing the upgrade of his installed packages with security holes.
23 >
24 >Doing this would put some stress on the ability to run different
25 >packages from different eras together on the same box. The flexible
26 >dependency system we have today _should_ prove useful to make that
27 >happen, and if there are packages with too tight requirements on
28 >versions of other packages it uses, we should bring that issue up with
29 >the upstream project. Taking it upon ourselves to do backports etc is
30 >just to costly, imho.
31 >
32 >/A
35 >--
36 >gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
40 I agree completely with this suggestion. Personally at my workplace, my
41 boss was considering going with debian because you could specify to only
42 update for security reasons (through only placing security repositories
43 in sources.list). Fortunately for me, he had a few bad experiences with
44 debian developers and went with gentoo despite the lack of the
45 security-updates-only option. Adding an [S] option to emerge -pv would
46 certainly make our lives easier here, and at many corporations who don't
47 see the need to update regularly.
48
49 -j4
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list