From: Zach Forrest <zach@××××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoolkit - python framework...
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:05:06
1 Good afternoon.
2
3 In an endevour to become better aquainted with Python, I've written some
4 code* that may be of some use in writing tools for Gentoo. As an
5 example, I've rewritten qpkg to use the "framework" -- I used optik to
6 parse the commandline, so I had to simplify some of the option names,
7 but most of the functionality should still be there. (I should note that
8 the command for getting package info is a little slow at the moment. It
9 uses the EPackage class, derived from Package, which is able to provide
10 a great deal more info, but, of course, that info takes longer to parse
11 out of the ebuild file. It would probably be beneficial to write a
12 lighter weight class that does less work.) Most of the code is well
13 documented which should be helpful to Python beginners (like me).
14
15 Feedback is *very* welcome. It's also my first "real" attempt at
16 constructing regular expressions, so please be kind. I haven't packaged
17 this up yet, so you just need to unpack the archive wherever you like.
18
19 Regards,
20 Zach
21
22 * Just the other day, I looked through the portage code (something I
23 haven't done in quite some time) and some of the work I've done is
24 fairly similar -- almost the same in some places. But, as this was a
25 personal exercise, I enjoyed the journey. This is not to say that there
26 is nothing useful to be found.

gentoolkit-0.1.tgz application/octet-stream