From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: runlevels in runit
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:44:32
1 On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:16:20 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > OT: I've often wondered if emerge --config is actually intended to hide
6 > mostly one-shot configs, or if that's purely unintended accident. It
7 > seems to me that if it's the latter, portage needs some standard method
8 > to make such --config options more visible. Perhaps an
9 > emerge --config-list option or some such, to list every installed package
10 > that has an emerge --config option would be a good start. Perhaps there
11 > already is such a thing, but it's so obscure I've never heard of it, even
12 > after a decade as a "relatively advanced" gentoo user.
13 >
14 > ---
15 > [1] Consider bind. An admin runs emerge --config bind once to set it up,
16 > and then don't run it again unless he or the ebuild decides to massively
17 > change the chroot layout or something. Routine administration is
18 > accomplished by more routine methods, editing the config file(s), etc.
22 Well, I don't know the history nor why it is the way it is...
23
24 But I would think the "emerge --config whatever" might be better done as
25 an emaint module. Especially for the original topic, since it is a
26 user initiated maintenance item. Provided of course that it is
27 determined to be done by portage code in the first place. As for the
28 existing --config whatevers, the emaint module could probably be
29 extended to add a list function.
32 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>