From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:17:16
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:12:40 +0100 "Stuart Herbert"
3 > <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > | As the default USE flags are metadata about the package (not the
5 > | profile), it makes sense to store that data in the ebuild, along with
6 > | the rest of the package's metadata.
7 >
8 > No no on. Default USE flags are a property of the profile. Don't
9 > believe me? Go and have a look in an ebuild, and then in a profile. See
10 > which one specifies defaults for USE flags.
11 >
12 I'm sorry, but Stuart's right. These flags specify what the
13 "recommended" useflag usage is for a particular version of a package.
14 The profile's version is specific to a particular tree, or even
15 architecture. I would indeed argue that a nonempty global package
16 specific use file in the profile is not needed.
17
18 Paul
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list