From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:56:42
1 On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:42:02AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > > RDEPEND="sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
5 > > > !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit )"
6 > >
7 > > I like this, but the second branch (!sysv-utils) is not really needed,
8 > > because if we put sysvinit as the first RDEPEND of virtual/init, we
9 > > don't need to worry about installing it through rdepend in openrc.
10 >
11 > Does openrc actually work with all the stuff you have in your proposed
12 > virtual/init?
13
14 Remember that OpenRC wasn't originally an init process at all. it was
15 designed to work with any init process you want it to work with. That
16 hasn't changed, I've just added an init to it which you can use if you
17 want.
18
19 > For example, you have systemd in there. I'm pretty sure you can't use
20 > systemd as PID1 and then use openrc as your service manager. I mean,
21 > you probably could come up with some way to do that, but certainly
22 > openrc doesn't work that way today, or systemd for that matter.
23
24 There is nothing stopping you from that on the openrc side. It would
25 take a lot of custom systemd units to make it work, but that is an
26 exercise for the reader.
27
28 > You have runit in there as well. Can you use runit as PID1 and openrc
29 > as your service manager?
30
31 Sure. There's no reason you can't.
32
33 > If the only init implementations that openrc actually works with are
34 > sysvinit and its own init, then I'd just do it the systemd way. The
35 > init virtual only adds value insofar as these other packages actually
36 > provide an init that any other service manager could actually use.
37
38 OpenRC doesn't really care what you use for an init, you just have to
39 make the init do the equivalent of what is in /etc/inittab.
40
41 William