From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:32:51
1 On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:09:08AM -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > > No, it's needlessly unfriendly to users, and encourages broken packages.
3 > > et_EE breakage should be fixed, and slowly but surely is, and as for
4 > > unreadable error messages, getting German gcc output in a German locale
5 > > is a feature, not a bug. It can indeed be a problem in bugreports, but
6 > > it's a much milder one, since it's trivial to look up what any
7 > > particular message is translated from.
8 >
9 > It's not trivial if you don't have the German locales installed.
10
11 grep through gcc/po/*, which doesn't require installation of the
12 locales, only that you didn't delete the gcc tarball after fetching it.
13 (Yes, I do it myself, and no, I don't normally have the gcc sources
14 unpacked.) Jakub, probably not very seriously, mentioned automating such
15 a lookup. Well, a simple shell script should do it, and if there is
16 actual interest in it, I might write it myself.
17 --
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list