From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Notify people about empty herds (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] FTR: media-optical@g.o has no developers)
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:35:16
1 On 3 June 2010 20:54, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > There is a real problem with herds that have a single or no
3 > maintainer, the former mainly because that could very well lead to
4 > another case of the latter, and we should certainly address both
5 > problems, but we should create as little as possible new problems in
6 > the process.
7
8 Also, there are herds that have several members, but none of them is
9 really active (games, most of the desktop-* herds, etc.). This also
10 leads to users being discouraged because the bugs they file are left
11 ignored.
12
13 This needs a structural solution. I think we need a team to
14 systematically look at open bugs and to notify the community of such
15 problematic herds. I imagine this would be a QA subproject.
16
17 Then we also need some structure to redirect some dev love to these
18 problematic areas. We need to advertise these needs more, to get
19 trusted users to proxy-maintain. We need to streamline the recruitment
20 process to make it easier for people who want to volunteer to become
21 devs. And I could go on for a while. There are a lot of areas where
22 Gentoo has a lot of room for improvement, and they all interlock.
23
24 I believe we need to formulate a vision of what we want Gentoo to be,
25 and then develop strategies of how to get there. Having a team that
26 systematically looks at the state of herds as well as open bugs is
27 --in my opinion-- a crucial first step to adress some of the
28 structural problems that have plagued Gentoo for years.
31 Cheers,
32 Ben