From: Christian Gut <cycloon@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package notices
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:46:08
1 On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 21:42, Eldad Zack wrote:
2 > Hey Guys,
3 >
4 > I've got an idea to implement package notices, as opposed to
5 > outputing these important messages to stdout using e{info,warn,error}.
6 >
7 > The idea is VERY simple: write the message to a file (say,
8 > /var/portage/notices/{P}) and have a utility to read and delete these
9 > messages. Maybe even build this functionality into etc-config.
10 > (Maybe mail these messages to a configured address?)
11 >
12 > For ease-of-use I propose adding a simple wrapper command ("enotice" or
13 > "notice") that would take care of writing into the correct file.
14 >
15 > Comments? Ideas?
16
17 another idea: simply hand them over to syslog. This way they get mailed
18 to the admin and are there for later reference.
21 Christian Gut <cycloon@×××××××.org>