From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>, tomka@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Protecting config files of webapps
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 13:34:57
1 On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > www-apps/tt-rss is configured through a file config.php sitting
5 > in its install directory. At the moment the file is overwritten
6 > when upgrading with webapp-config. Who is responsible for
7 > config-protecting this file?
8 >
9 > a) the ebuild should install an env file (www-apps/otrs does this)
10 > b) the user can be informed with einfo but needs to do it herself
11 > c) This is a bug in webapp-config
12 >
13 > c) seems strange to me, but a user has reported this in bug
14 > 496788 and it was closed as a duplicate implying c).
15 >
16 > Cheers,
17 > Thomas
20 > --
21 > Thomas Kahle
22 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/
25 It depends. webapp-config is designed to keep a pristine copy in
26 /usr/share/webapps/$PN/$PV/ so when you write "its install directory"
27 I'm not sure which one you mean. Is it that one in /usr/share OR is it
28 the directory, likely withinin /var/www/, that the cli invocation of
29 webapp-config placed it's files? If the latter, then it's a bug.
30 webapp-config is supposed to keep track of modified files across
31 multiple installations of the same webapp, even differing versions of
32 the same webapp. If it's not doing that, its a bug in webapp-config.
33
34 I'm adding blueness@g.o to CC since he is working on this package some.
35
36 Thanks,
37 Matt
40 Matthew Summers
41 Gentoo Foundation Inc.
42 GPG: 111B C438 35FA EDB5 B5D3 736F 45EE 5DC0 0878 9D46