From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programs that depend on X libraries
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:14:36
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:01:52PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 >(1) The FHS says: "This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window System,
3 > version 11 release 6, and related files." IMHO that doesn't include
4 > programs that are linked against the X libraries, just programs that
5 > are delivered with the X distribution.
6
7 This was my interpretation as well. I agree with --prefix=/usr
10 >(2) Consistency with other major distributions. Both Red Hat and Debian
11 > install programs (even those linked against X libraries) in /usr.
12 > (For the most part... Deviations seem to be primarily historical.)
13 >
14 >(3) Simplicity in the ebuilds. Consider the following scenarios:
15 >
16 > * ebuild with multiple binaries, some of which link against X,
17 > others that don't. Does the ebuild author split up the binaries?
18 > If so, this becomes confusing to both the ebuild author (who has
19 > to go through and distinguish one from the other) and to the
20 > end-user (who might expect both prog and xprog to live in the same
21 > location).
22 >
23 > * ebuild with binary that optionally links to X. Does the ebuild
24 > author put conditionals in the ebuild to install in either
25 > /usr/X11R6 or /usr? If so, this again creates a confusing
26 > situation for the end-user.
27 >
28 > In both of these cases, it's easier to install to /usr and not worry
29 > about either of the above.
30 >
31 >(4) Potential to have multiple X distributions installed. Say for
32 > instance that I like to have XFree86-3.3.6, XFree86-4.0.1, and
33 > Accelerated-X installed. I might like to install these in
34 > hierarchies under /usr/XFree86-3.3.6, /usr/XFree86-4.0.1, and
35 > /usr/Accel-X, then create a symlink /usr/X11R6 that points to the
36 > tree I'm using at the moment. All other technical concerns with
37 > this scheme aside, this at least creates a problem for ebuilds that
38 > like to install in /usr/X11R6.
39 >
40 >Thanks,
41 >Aron