From: Amiel Martin <martina3@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] using more than one kernel
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 22:51:27
1 Hi, Ive been playing with my kernel options and trying out a few
2 different kernels, and Ive got a few small ideas.
3
4 first of all, there are a few packages that need to be re-emerged when
5 you compile a new kernel (ie nvidia-kernel and emu10k1)
6
7 it would be nice to have a way to be able to run something like
8 emerge new-kernel
9 after compiling a new kernel. this could be done with an ebuilkd
10 variable that registers an ebuild as being dependant on the kernel?
11
12 the other thing is that if I am using two different kernels, only one
13 can have external packages (like nvidia-kernel and emu10k1) because they
14 get cleaned out. I dont know how this would be possible, but It would be
15 nice to implement something like SLOT (only different because its the
16 same ebuild) that would allow you to have two versions of the same
17 ebuild installed.
18
19 oh, and by the way, I just niticed that if you emerge a different
20 *-sources, your .config gets copied over. That rocks.
23 Thanks for your time,
24
25 -AMIel
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list