From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] eclectic-0.9.1
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 20:36:21
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 About eclectic
5 - --------------
6
7 During the last few months, ciaranm, ka0ttic, slarti and me have been
8 working on "eclectic" [1], a modular administration and configuration
9 framework for Gentoo. Eclectic is completely written in bash and unifies
10 different tasks in one tool with a consistent user interfaces. Up to
11 now, eclectic can handle mulitple tasks using the following modules:
12
13 * bashcomp:
14 Configure and list bash completetions, thus obsoletes
15 app-shells/bash-completion-config.
16
17 * blas,lapack:
18 Switch between implementations of virtual/{blas,lapack}.
19 This obsoletes sci-libs/{blas,lapack}-config (which are bogus).
20
21 * profile:
22 List and switch Gentoo portage profiles. Check if selected
23 profile is valid in regard to used "ARCH".
24
25 * mailer:
26 Manage the mailwrapper profiles in /etc/mail.
27
28 * kernel:
29 Manage the /usr/src/linux symlink.
30
31 Work on further modules is in progress like:
32
33 * vi:
34 Manage the upcoming vi symlink for parallel installs of vi clones.
35 (vi, nvi, vim, gvim)
36
37 * icu and ilasm:
38 Manage the different free implementation of .NET.
39
40 Eclectic has a library concept for shared function. It features common
41 code for configuration, output and multilib handling.
42
43 There is a both a developer guide and a user guide as RST shipped with
44 the source.
45
46 Currently, eclectic's source[2] is hosted at berlios.de due to our decission
47 to use Subversion as SCM. As soon as GLEP 36[3] has been implemented, we
48 would like to move to a Gentoo repository.
49
50 Questions
51 - ---------
52
53 * What do we need to accomplish to get the status of an "Official
54 Gentoo Project" ? Is a manager voting necessary ?
55
56 * What do the maintainers of Gentoo's various -config and -update
57 scripts think about converting their scripts into eclectic modules ?
58
59 * What is the best place for eclectic in the portage tree? app-admin as
60 it is an administrative tool? Or rather app-portage as it should be
61 used together with Gentoo only?
62
63 Danny
64
65 [1] http://developer.berlios.de/projects/eclectic
66 [2] http://download.berlios.de/eclectic/eclectic-0.9.1.tar.bz2
67 [3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0036.html
68
69 - --
70 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
71 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
79 --
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list